Since MS Vista the built-in offline files feature is robust and a better alternative to old well known synctoy tool,
The offline files uses a cache directory located under c:\windows\csc
to redirect the c:\windows\csc to another drive (to save space on the system drive) follow this procedure:
- Create a folder for your offline file cache. Something like
- From an elevated command prompt type the following:
Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC.
- Open the Sync Center and go to Manage Offline Files.
- Click Disable Offline Files and restart the machine.
- From an elevated command prompt issue the following commands:
rd /s C:\Windows\CSC mklink /J C:\Windows\CSC "D:\OfflineFiles"
(or whatever your folder name is, but be sure to use the quotes if you have space(s) in the name).
- Reopen the Manage Offline Files window and Enable Offline Files.
- Restart the machine.
All files/folders that are made available offline should now be redirected to whichever folder you specified.